Posted on: 30 December 2014 by Ross McSweeny
Regional Express (Rex) is to begin three new Queensland regulated routes from 1 January 2015 following the decision in October 2014 by the Queensland State Government to award Rex all five regulated routes that Rex applied for in a competitive tender process, including the Northern 1 and 2 Routes which the carrier held at the time of the bid.
The five regulated routes are:
• Northern 1 Route from Townsville to Winton to Longreach and return;
• Northern 2 Route from Townsville to Hughenden to Richmond to Julia Creek to Mount Isa and return;
• Gulf Route from Cairns to Normanton to Mornington Island to Burketown to Doomadgee to Mount Isa and return;
• Western 1 Route from Brisbane to Toowoomba (Brisbane West Wellcamp) to St George to Cunnamulla to Thargomindah and return; and
• Western 2 Route from Brisbane to Toowoomba (Brisbane West Wellcamp) to Charleville to Quilpie to Windorah to Birdsville to Bedourie to Boulia to Mount Isa and return.
Rex reports that its staff has “worked hard to obtain the Area Air Operator’s Certificate (AAOC) that provides Rex with the necessary regulatory approval to commence the new regulated routes”.
“The Rex team has worked tirelessly over the past 10 weeks to ensure that the new regulated air services to 16 new Queensland airports can commence on 1 January 2015,” emphasised Warrick Lodge, Rex General Manager Network Strategy & Sales. “Our team has been liaising with the local communities and has made two visits to each of the 16 new ports on the routes. We look forward to continuing to build these relationships as services commence.
“Rex is honoured to be selected by the Queensland Government to deliver these essential services that provide critical linkages between Brisbane, Cairns and Townsville to 20 regional communities that span the entire state,” Lodge continued. “Rex has delivered a very reliable and safe service with heartfelt country hospitality on the Northern 1 and 2 Routes during the past four years and we look forward to reproducing our outstanding service levels on the new regulated routes from 1 January 2015.”
Rex will also launch a new service between Cairns and Townsville from 3 January 2015.