Posted on: 13 September 2010 by Ross McSweeny
Rockwell Collins says interactive and three-dimensional (3D) enhancements for its Airshow moving map system are now available for integration into airline IFE systems, making Airshow the first interactive, 3D moving map product for commercial aircraft.
Airshow Interactive, the vendor says, is the only moving map product that provides digital output with in-seat interactive capability. The software-only product is designed specifically for integration with IFE systems.
Like previous generation Airshow moving maps, Rockwell Collins adds, Airshow Interactive 3D is highly customisable and offers functionality such as custom branding. The new 3D maps use NASA’s Blue Marble map data with proprietary image enhancements to add what the company describes as unparalleled 3D graphical realism to what is already the industry’s most popular moving map system.
Other new features and performance enhancements include:
• A new global map package that provides major enhancements to detail and coverage worldwide
• Realistic day and night imagery on a variety of selectable 3D map views
• Interactive global time display
• Innovative flight status displays
• Worldwide points of interest
• Interactive 3D relative location indicator
• Enhanced zoom style maps