Posted on: 17 May 2018
To celebrate the achievements of the Icelandic national football team Icelandair has launched Team Iceland Stopover, a selection of 90-minute, football-inspired experiences curated by the Icelandic national team, and included in the price of any Icelandair Stopover flight ticket.
Icelandair’s experiences provide travellers with an insight into the lives of both the men’s and women’s team players and Icelandic football history.
Available from May until the end of June, these 90-minute activities cater to a range of traveller’s passion points, from culture to fitness and well-being. To provide passengers with an authentic experience and local insight into football culture in Iceland, all experiences will be hosted by a special guest from the world of football or a ‘Stopover Buddy’, an Icelandair staff member who is passionate about Iceland and football and who takes pride in sharing their local knowledge and expertise.
Björgólfur Jóhannsson, president and CEO at Icelandair commented, “As proud sponsors of the national team, we are thrilled to celebrate their success this summer with our Team Iceland Stopover service. We are continually looking at ways to enhance our customer experience and hope that passengers will enjoy time well-travelled this summer through this value-added offering. Not only can our passengers find out more about the backstory of this legendary team, but we’ve worked with the players to personally design these experiences, allowing our passengers to follow in their footsteps.”
Team Iceland Stopover experiences include:
- Support like an Icelander: Captains Aron Gunnarsson and Sara Björk Gunnarsdóttir have set up the chance for lucky fans to attend either a National Men’s or Women’s team match and learn how to participate in the thunder clap.
- Relax like a Pro: After making history for Iceland as their first ever goal scorer at a major tournament, midfielder Birkir Bjarnason is inviting passengers to one of his favourite geothermal areas at Laugarvatn Fontana, where passengers can unwind, enjoying the geothermal baths, sauna and lake for a swim.
- Train the Icelandic Way: International female star Dagný Brynjarsdóttir will put passengers through their paces in a training session featuring stunning views of Iceland’s striking terrain.
- Footballing Family: The legendary Breidablik Academy is the place where many of the national team began their careers when they were young. Among them was Jóhann Berg, who has since gone on to become a Premier League player. Here younger travellers will have the chance to follow in Jóhann’s footsteps with a special 90-minute session at the Academy.
- Goal in One: Gylfi Sigurðsson’s enjoys playing golf and travellers will be able to play on one of Gylfi’s favourite courses in Iceland and spend time with the club pro, who will help passengers work on everything from their swing to their putting.
Agency Brooklyn Brothers, working with Islenska, created the project.